Tyne and Wear HER(6551): Newcastle, Gallowgate, iron fetters - Details
Newcastle, Gallowgate, iron fetters
Punishment and Restraint
In 1895, iron fetters (shackles for the feet), very much corroded, consisting of two hinged rings with a connecting chain, were found on the north side of St Andrew's Church (HER 1486) near the vestry door. Donated to the Society of Antiquaries by Rev. J.M Lister of St Andrew's. Do these derive from Newgate Gaol (HER 1543)?
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, Series 2, Vol VI (1895), p 94