Tyne and Wear HER(6555): Newcastle, St. John's Charity School - Details
Newcastle, St. John's Charity School
The Charity-School of St John's for 44 poor boys, was endowed by Mr John Ord in 1705. He gave with it a large piece of land outside the Pilgrim Gate, called Great Magdalen Close, alias the Mill-Close, which was held by Lease of the Master and Brethren of St Mary Magdalen Hospital, under the Rent of 4l per annum. The Close was let at 25l.
H. Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, pp 28-30