Tyne and Wear HER(6561): Newcastle, St. Johns Chare (Rosemary Lane) - Details
Newcastle, St. Johns Chare (Rosemary Lane)
Road Transport Site
One of the minor medieval streets or "chares" linking the three main routes through the town. The location of St John's Chare is not certain - it is possible that the name, in the Middle Ages, should apply only to the street along the east side of St John's churchyard (first reference 1423). Named St John's Lane on Hutton's map of 1770.
B. Harbottle and P. Clack, 1976, Newcastle upon Tyne: Archaeology and Development, in D.W. Harding (ed), 1976, Archaeology in the North; S. Joncheir, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 2, Vol XXII (1899-1900), p 123.