Tyne and Wear HER(6562): Newcastle, Denton Chare - Details
Newcastle, Denton Chare
Road Transport Site
One of the minor medieval streets or "chares" linking the three main routes through the town. First reference is in 1425. This street linked St Nicholas Church (HER 1491) to Westgate (HER 3945).
B. Harbottle and P. Clack, 1976, Newcastle upon Tyne: Archaeology and Development, in D.W. Harding (ed), 1976, Archaeology in the North; J.C. Hodgson, 1917, "The Domus Dei" of Newcastle, otherwise St. Katherine's hospital on the Sandhill, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 3, Vol XIV, (1917), pp 191-221.