Tyne and Wear HER(6567): Newcastle, Pandon, Wall Knoll - Details
Newcastle, Pandon, Wall Knoll
Road Transport Site
The medieval layout of Pandon is not clear but it is certain that one street ran south from the bridge end before dividing into two along the lower slopes and foot of Wallknoll - the upper one was just called Wallknoll on maps of the 18th century and 19th century, and has now disappeared. It was referred to in 1298-1300 as "the highway on le Wallknoll on the south side of the Carmelites". Bourne suggested that the name referred to Hadrian's Wall. At the upper end of Wall Knoll was the Carmelite Friary (HER 1425). On 12 August 1339 a flood broke down six perches of the town wall near Wallknoll.
H. Bourne, 1736, History of Newcastle, p 139-42; B. Harbottle and P. Clack, 1976, Newcastle upon Tyne: Archaeology and Development, in D.W. Harding (ed), 1976, Archaeology in the North; W. Gray, 1649, Chorographia; R. Welford, 1909, Local Muniments, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, (1909), p 60; S. Holmes, 1896, The Walls of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 2, Vol XVIII, pp 1-25, H. Maxwell (ed), 1913, Chronicle of Lanercost Priory, Ballantyne Club.