Tyne and Wear HER(6573): Newcastle, Low Bridge - Details
Title of image: Nether Dene Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne
Artist: Richardson T.M.
Additional info: Reprographic copy
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Bridges Collection
Accession number: NCL 003367
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Low Bridge
Road Transport Site
In the late 14th century a deliberate effort was made to improve east-west communications by the building of a second bridge across the Lort Burn. This was the Low Bridge (Netherdenebrig) which, with its approaches, connected Pilgrim Street with the east end of St Nicholas'. In 1394 the Actons gave the town a plot of land 26 feet long and 8 feet wide by the burn for the bridge, and a second plot 246 feet by 8.5 feet to join it to Pilgrim Street. In 1399 John de Auckland bequeathed 20s towards the work on "la Denebrig" next to the church of St Nicholas. According to Gray, Brand and Horseley, this is where Hadrian's Wall crossed the burn.
W. Gray, 1649, Chorographia, p 9; J. Brand, 1789, History of Newcastle upon Tyne; J. Horseley, 1732, Britannia Romana; B. Harbottle and P. Clack, 1976, Newcastle upon Tyne: Archaeology and Development, in D.W. Harding (ed), 1976, Archaeology in the North; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 150; Barbara Harbottle, 2009, The Medieval Archaeology of Newcastle in Diana Newton and AJ Pollard (eds), 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead before 1700, page 38