Tyne and Wear HER(6582): Newcastle, The Close, stone coffin - Details
Newcastle, The Close, stone coffin
Religious Ritual and Funerary
A large stone coffin was revealed in 1902 whilst digging the foundations of the new power house of Newcastle and District Electric and Light Company in The Close, on the former site of Messrs A. Hood and Co's sawmill. There was a cylindrical recess for the head, 9 inches in diameter. Length of coffin was 67.5 inches with a maximum width at the shoulders of 18 inches and 12 inches at the foot. 12 inches deep throughout. Donated to the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne by Messrs J and W Lawry in 1902.
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, Series 2, Vol X (1902), pp 118-9.