Tyne and Wear HER(662): Ravensworth manor - Details
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
The first specific mention of the manor of Raueneshelme is 1288, when Bishop Bec granted Sir John Fitz-Marmaduke free warren in the demesne land there. In 1356 Sir John Lumley leased "the site, demesne, park, meadows and pasture of the manor" to Sir Robert Umfravill to work coal there. In 1472 William Lumley died seised of the manor which contained 60 acres arable, 100 pasture, 10 meadow, 60 wood, 100 moor, and which he had held of the bishop "by service of half a knight's fee and by three suits to the principal county courts of Durham". It is unclear, however, what the title of manor means in this case - a set of buildings or a territory distinct from the neighbouring townships. If the latter, it is perhaps later represented by the park shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of the area.
<< HER 662 >> H.E. Bell, 1939, Calendar of Deeds given to the Society by Lord Ravensworth, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XVI, pp.43-70, nos.19,21-3,26,28-9,31,35,38,47,56,60,70