Tyne and Wear HER(6624): Newcastle, Quayside, stone ball - Details
Newcastle, Quayside, stone ball
Large stone ball 3 feet 6 inches in circumference was brought up from a depth of around 36 feet below low water spring tides, about 20 feet in front of the old quay wall and about 10 feet behind the present line of the quay front. Donated to the Society of Antiquaries by W.G. Lawes, City Engineer, on 4 January 1890.
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, Series 2, IV (1889), p 201; V (1892), p 184.