Tyne and Wear HER(6650): Newcastle, St. Nicholas Square, cistern head - Details
Newcastle, St. Nicholas Square, cistern head
A cistern head in present on the library/vestry building which was added onto the south side of the cathedral in 18th century. The date on the cistern head is probably 1736, the year when Walter Blackett built the library for the books of the Rev. Dr. Robert Thomlinson and other benefactors. The arms and crest on the cistern head are those of the Blackett family (silver, on a chevron, between three mullets, pierced sable, three escallops silver. A hawk's head crest). The cistern-head was on the library wall facing the clerestory window of the choir and could not be seen from the ground. It was later moved to another place. The vestry was to the south side of the chancel, and the library was above this. The library keeper was [in 1736] the Rev. Mr Stoddard, Assistant Curate of the church.
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, Series 4, V (1933), p 40; H. Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, p 61