Tyne and Wear HER(6669): Newcastle, Pilgrim Street, dedication stones from Tyne Bridge - Details
Newcastle, Pilgrim Street, dedication stones from Tyne Bridge
Carving of arms, in stone, of Nathaniel Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham and another of the arms of the town of Newcastle. Two sculptured panels from Pilgrim's Yard, Pilgrim Street. Originally from the old ruined Tyne Bridge (the bishop's arms was from the tower with the Portcullis at south end of bridge, the newcastle arms was from the tower with the portcullis which stood on the pier between arches 3 and 4 from the north), and built first into alderman Hornby's garden wall - he had premises at 135 and 137 Pilgrim Street. The property later passed to Mr Anthony Clapham, who carefully removed the stones and placed the arms over the porter office of Brumell & Gilpin. Date - contemporary with the town arms ie. 1646. Motto on Newcastle arms: "Fortiter defendit triumphans 1646 inches Now both in Castle Keep.
B. Harbottle, 1978, additional information file HER 288-348