Tyne and Wear HER(6681): Newcastle, The Close, Duke of Cumberland - Details
Title of image: Duke of Cumberland Inn, The Close
Description: A 1898 photograph of the Duke of Cumberland Inn, The Close. There is a brick wall to the left and right of the pub. The wall to the right is covered with adverts. Behind the pub is a large sign for 'Nestles Milk' and the backs of houses.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Hotels and Restaurants Collection
Accession number: NCL 052605
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, The Close, Duke of Cumberland
The Close, Duke of Cumberland Shown on second edition Ordnance Survey 10.56” to 1 mile revision. Seems to have been much reduced in frontage. George Henderson 1783 innkeeper, Thomas Bell 1777. Mr Henderson’s freehold against Bankside. Stone, 3 storeys
Photograph by John Nolan, Newcastle City Archaeological Unit; Barbara Harbottle, 1973, No. 26 The Close, Newcastle upon Tyne in Archaeological Newsbulletin for Northumberland, Cumberland and Westmorland, No. 4, May 1973, pp 10-11; Bennison, Brian, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume One, The Central Area, p 40