Tyne and Wear HER(6687): Newcastle, The Side, Burns Tavern (The Empress) - Details
Newcastle, The Side, Burns Tavern (The Empress)
The Side, Burns Tavern At the head of The Side. Two dominant gables on the front. Second floor windows differ beneath each gable. The right hand side window has a prominent elongated lintel. The bottom of the second floor has a jetty, and the ground floor two shop frontages. In a drawing by ?Matthew Reed in 1870, the left hand side of the building is known as Burns Tavern.
Photograph, Newcastle Local Studies Library; Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Bennison, Brian, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume One, The Central Area, p 43