Tyne and Wear HER(6706): Newcastle, Sandgate, Sellar’s Entry - Details
Title of image: Sellars Entry Sandgate, Newcastle upon Tyne
Date: circa 1890
Description: A copy of a drawing of Sellars Entry, Sandgate, Newcastle upon Tyne taken c.1890. The view shows the houses which ran along the right-hand side of Sellars Entry and the stone wall on the left-hand side. There was a narrow lane separating the houses from the wall. An archway at one end of the lane led to Sandgate.
Additional info: Reprographic copy
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies
Accession number: NCL 004016
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Sandgate, Sellar’s Entry
Behind the beer-houses, lodging houses and shops on Sandgate there were numerous alleys, chares or entries, described by Knowles and Boyle in 1890 as 'dark' and 'dingy'.. 'crowded with the miserable dwellings of the very poor'. The keelmen colonised the Sandgate area in the eighteenth century. Bourne recorded that several thousand people, mostly those who worked on the river, lived in Sandgate and the lanes off it. Sellar's Entry lay between Nos. 7 and 8 Sandgate and contained one of the oldest buildings in the neighbourhood. Building in Sellar’s Entry: Timber, 2 storeys. Jetty beneath first floor with exposed beams. Two entrances at ground floor. Building is perpendicular to Sandgate. Two dormer gables with windows. Partial stone foundation can be seen. Adjacent building has jetty beneath first floor and two long windows on first floor. Another has a first floor entrance with stone steps.