Tyne and Wear HER(673): Whickham, Whaggs Estate, perforated axe-hammer - Details
Whickham, Whaggs Estate, perforated axe-hammer
Tools and Equipment
In January 1899 Mr. R. Newton donated to the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle "a stone axe-hammer", found on the Whaggs estate, Whickham, in August 1898. It was "in granulite, with hour-glass perforation" and measured as follows: Length 210 mm, max. width 111 mm, max. thickness 76 mm. A letter of 1898/9 (now possibly at Northumberland County Records Office with the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle papers) also reports that the find was "associated with a burial".
<< HER 673 >> Archaeologia Aeliana, 1900, Donations to the Museum, 2, XXII, xiii Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 1901, Donations to the Museum, 2, IX (for 1899-1900), 2 Museum of Antiquities Museum Records, 1899.2 R. Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p. 39, and fig. 11 p. 41, no. 8