Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Whitley Bay, Whitley Road, Nos. 246-248, Coliseum Theatre

Tyne and Wear HER(6739): Whitley Bay, Whitley Road, Nos. 246-248, Coliseum Theatre - Details

Back to Search Results


6739


N Tyneside


Whitley Bay, Whitley Road, Nos. 246-248, Coliseum Theatre


Whitley Bay


NZ37SE


Recreational


Music Speech and Dance Venue


Theatre


Modern


C20


Extant Building


The Coliseum, advertised as a new theatre and variety hall, was built in the garden of Whitley House, then the Unionist Club, by Mr William Smelt and opened on Whit Saturday in 1910. The Whitley Seaside Chronicle described it thus: "the interior is spacious, and the roof, pannelled and ornamental, is lofty, and well provided with ventilators. At either side of the stage a couple of boxes, roomy enough each to accommodate ten persons, are provided, and in common with the proscenium and the front of the side balconies, are finely ornamented with embossed Olsina and coloured in pink and cream. Altogether the effect of the interior is very pleasing". Plans to extend the Coliseum Theatre to take in the former Whitley House were proposed in 1919, and in 1930 the new entrance from the main street replaced the side entrance from The Arcade. In later years (from the 1970s?) the Coliseum served as a bingo hall. LOCAL LIST


3552


7215


NZ35527215



The Archaeological Practice, 2004, The Coliseum, Whitley Bay, Archaeological Assessment and Photographic Record; North Tyneside Council, November 2008, Register of Buildings and Parks of Special Local Architectural and Historic Interest SDP (Local Development Document 9)

Back to Search Results