Tyne and Wear HER(6746): Usworth, Pattinson Town - Details
Usworth, Pattinson Town
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition. Pattinson Town (named after the founder of Washington Chemical Works, Hugh Lee Pattinson) comprised of originally one row of terraced houses, each with a long garden. From a valuation of the works carried out in 1856, we know that these houses were workers cottages consisting of 3 rooms each, with a pantry, coal house, piggery and attached garden. There 28 cottages in all, 2 cottages occupied by cartmen. There was also a manager's house with 8 rooms and a garden, a foreman's house and a clerk's house. A footpath lead from the cottages to the works. By 1896 there was an additional row of cottages with allotments on the north side of the road for the residents. Demolished by 1964.
<< HER 6746 >> Ordnance Survey first edition map 1850; Archaeo-Environment Ltd, 2004, Desk Top Assessment of the former Washington Chemical Works; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2014, Washington Chemical Works, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Evaluation