Tyne and Wear HER(6748): Usworth, paper mill - Details
Usworth, paper mill
Paper Industry Site
An undated copy of the Sunderland Echo (probably 1963) records that Hugh Lee Pattinson took over an old paper mill site for his chemical works in 1840. The place was already in use as a bleach mill (HER 6747), but the present road from the Glebe Schools to Waterside was called Paper Mill Lane (now Station Road). The buildings were used afterwards as stables for the chemical works.
<< HER 6748 >> Archaeo-Environment Ltd, 2004, Desk Top Assessment of the former Washington Chemical Works; Sunderland Echo, ?1963