Tyne and Wear HER(6777): Usworth, Strother House - Details
Usworth, Strother House
Agriculture and Subsistence
The first reference to Strother House was in an inquisition on Sit Wilfrid Lawson 1632. Details of the landholding are recorded on an estate plan for the owner, Sir Gilfred Lawson, Bart. The plan is undated but c.1810-1815. The plan shows three buildings arranged around the north, east and west sides of a yard. The present farm comprises a linear range. The two-storey house is of a rough-dressed cobbles with stone quoins, corbelling, gable coping and kneelers, and a slate roof. There is a white washed single storey range to the east which may be the origianl house depicted in the early 19th century.