Tyne and Wear HER(678): Whickham, stocks - Details
In 1893 the antiquarian Bourn reported that "about seventy years ago the village stocks stood beside the yew tree in front of the tower (of the church). Probably, they had then fallen into disuse, as they had originally stood on the village green. They were last seen in the blacksmith's shop on the west side of the churchyard, and are now only remembered by the oldest inhabitants".
<< HER 678 >> W. Bourn, 1893, History of the Parish of Whickham, 18