Tyne and Wear HER(680): Whickham, medieval mill - Details
Whickham, medieval mill
In Boldon Buke (c.1183 survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset), under the heading of Whickham, there is mention of a mill which "used (to render) 3 marcs". In Hatfield's Survey (c.1382) no mill is listed under Whickham, but there was definitely one in Swalwell, also listed under Whickham. The Swalwell mill is also mentioned in the Parliamentary Survey of 1647, and it is possible that references of 1567 and 1576, quoted by the antiquarian Bourn, also refer to Swalwell.
<< HER 680 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, p. 67 W. Bourn, 1893, Whickham Parish, p. 49; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2014, Windmill at Chase Park, Whickham - Archaeological Assessment