Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Whitburn, churchyard

Tyne and Wear HER(6810): Whitburn, churchyard - Details

Back to Search Results


6810


S Tyneside


Whitburn, churchyard


Whitburn


NZ46SW


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Mixed Cemetery


Churchyard


Post Medieval


C18-C20


Structure


Prior to its extension in 1868 the churchyard was roughly rectangular, with the church set close to the centre of the north side. The 1868 extension was to the north of the church. The oldest monuments lie on the south side of the church - mostly 19th century headstones and tombstones, but a few 18th century stones, some broken or badly decayed. In the eastern half of the 1868 extension there are late 19th century and 20th century gravestones. The western side is as yet unused and ridge and furrow earthworks survive here. LOCAL LIST


4055


6168


NZ40556168



<< HER 6810 >> The Arbeia Society, 2004, The Coast from South Shields to Whitburn, p 26; SOUTH TYNESIDE LOCAL LIST REVIEW 2011: REFERENCE NUMBER: LSHA/189/W

Back to Search Results