Tyne and Wear HER(6823): Marsden Rock - Details
Marsden Rock was a popular picnic spot. In 1896, Peter Allen, Landlord of the Grotto, and two companions spent two weeks cutting a channel and steps into the rock, and then connecting it to the ground with a ladder. Visitors enjoyed a picnic on top of the rock - 109 feet above the sea! In April 1903 a choral service was held on top of the rock.
<< HER 6823 >> South Tyneside Libraries, 1991, Pictures of Old Marsden - the Village that Vanished, p 18