Tyne and Wear HER(6844): Newcastle, Percy Street, Handyside Arcade - Details
Newcastle, Percy Street, Handyside Arcade
Built 1906 by Henry Wilson-Pyle and Blackburn for George Handyside. Three storey stone-faced office building divided by pilasters with cornice at first and second floor and roof. Grounsd floor had central doorway to offices with corbelled projecting architrave. Two simple entrances to arcade with lettered lintels. Rear elevation brick frame, glass panels. Interior was horse-shape in plan with timber frame and glazing bars to shop and workshop fronts. Cast iron gallery supported on stone and cast-iron columns. Pitched iron and glass roof with cast-iron decorated portal frame supporting principal putlins and ridge. Refurbished 1980. Demolished after 1981 to make way for Eldon Garden shopping centre.
<< HER 6844 >> M. MacKeith, 1985, Shopping Arcades 1817-1939, pp 107-8