Tyne and Wear HER(6848): East Rainton, Rainton Colliery, Meadows Pit - Details
East Rainton, Rainton Colliery, Meadows Pit
Coal Mining Site
Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. This large colliery was linked to the Rainton and Seaham Railway (HER 2976) by the Adventure Branch (HER 3195). It was also linked to the North Eastern Railway (HER 2625) and the Londonderry Railway (HER 3180) Opened in 1824. Owners were the North Hetton Coal Company (Earl of Durham, Messrs Wood, Philipson, Burrell and others) and Lady FA Vane Londonderry, Marquess of Londonderry (in 1850s). Part of Rainton Colliery, which was opened before 1815 and closed in July 1978. Rainton Colliery included Adventure Pit (NZ 315 470), Dun Well Pit (HER 3206), Alexandrina Pit (HER 3219), Hazard Pit (HER 3212), Nicholson's Pit (HER 3201), North Pit (HER 3197), Plain Pit (HER 3198), Resolution Pit (NZ 311 476). In 1790 a boring had been put down in South Pit in East Rainton by a Mr Rawlings, to a depth of 10 fathoms. Whellan reported that in 1894 Rainton Colliery had 31 stationary engines, 38 boilers, 1185 workers and 835 workmen's houses.In modern times Rainton Meadows was an opencast mine called Rye Hill Surface Coal Mine. Site now restored as a nature reserve ran by Durham Wildlife Trust.
<< HER 6848 >> Ordnance Survey first edition map, 1850; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; N. Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas