Tyne and Wear HER(6866): Newcastle, Bath Lane, No. 56, meeting house - Details
Newcastle, Bath Lane, No. 56, meeting house
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Nonconformist Meeting House
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition as meeting house for Plymouth Brethren. Later a Christian Science church. 1878 by Austin Johnson and Hicks. Timber framed and brick with brick nogging and large plain tile roof. Gabled street frontage has high brick plinth and recessed central doorway with 3-light glazing bar overlight. Either side are large casements with rows of windows above. Interior - entrance hall and shop with meeting room above, with exposed framing and arch braces supporting a timber panel ceiling. Main hall has wooden arcades with narrow side aisles. Arcades each hane 3 square wooden posts and four blind windows. North-east end has raised dias with reading desks behind an ornate wooden balustrade with beyond double 6-panel doors. LISTED GRADE 2. Since 1994 the building has been The People's Kitchen, offering food, friendship and warmth to homeless people.
<< HER 6866 >> Ordnance Survey second edition map, 1890; Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 100/02; Maureen Callcott, 2006, The People's Kitchen in Tyneside's Finest, pp 81-82; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and N Tyneside, a survey