Tyne and Wear HER(6867): Newcastle, Gallowgate, aerated water manufactory - Details
Newcastle, Gallowgate, aerated water manufactory
Former gardens of asylum (HER 6868) sold to 3rd Northumberland Artillery regiment whol built a large Drill Hall and gym in 1869. The hall was open plan at ground floor level and was extended in 1875. In 1890 the hall was aquired by chemist John MacKay and converted to a warehouse and factory of aerated mineral water. This was enlarged in 1907-1910. Mackay and Co were still producing water at Corporation Street until after 1964. The building was demolished in the 1990s.
<< HER 6867 >> Ordnance Survey second edition map, 1890; Mike Griffiths & Associates, 2014, 2 St James Boulevard, Newcastle - Archaeological Assessment; TWM T186/14013 & 6363