Tyne and Wear HER(6870): Newcastle, Gallowgate, St Andrew's Poor House - Details
Newcastle, Gallowgate, St Andrew's Poor House
Health and Welfare
Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. There were four parish Poor Law Houses in Newcastle. In 1839 the Newcastle Board of Governors started buying land on Westgate Road to accommodate a new workhouse for the City, which would replace them - this became Newcastle General Hospital. St. Andrew's poor House was enlarged and altered in 1810 and 1817. In 1831, according to Thomas Oliver, it housed 56 inmates. They cost 4s each per week to feed. Children were sent to school. Girls were employed in the house and taught writing and accounts by a master in the evenings. In exchange for work done, the sick were given medicine, and beer, wine and spirits were allowed.
<< HER 6870 >> Ordnance Survey first edition map, 1850; The Workhouse, The story of an institution, www.workhouses.org.uk/NewcastleUponTyne/; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2018, Heber St - Archaeological Assessment; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2018, Land at Heber Street, Newcastle - Archaeological Evaluation