Tyne and Wear HER(6875): Newcastle, Pitt Street, Lord Hill Inn (Hound Inn) - Details
Newcastle, Pitt Street, Lord Hill Inn (Hound Inn)
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. William Cole was licensee in the late C19. The Newcastle Harriers running club was formed here in 1887. They no longer survive. The Lord Hill (previously the Hound Inn) closed in 1966 to be replaced by the Magpie and Blue Star Club. The Lord Hill was the first changing room for St James' Park, as the licensee was a member of the football club's board. Site now car park.
<< HER 6875 >> Ordnance Survey second edition map, 1890; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne from 1850 to the present day, p 24; Pearson, Lynn, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 15; Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West