Tyne and Wear HER(6878): Whorlton, Gingling Gate Public House - Details
Title of image: Jingling Gate, Westerhope
Date: circa 1910
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Hotels and Restaurants Collection
Accession number: NCL 033847
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Whorlton, Gingling Gate Public House
Shown on tithe map of 1847. May have originally been called the Blue Bell. Held by Riddell Robson (farmer at Low Whorlton and West and East Whorlton). Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map with a smithy to the rear (HER 3995). The Jingling Gate Public House is still there but the 19th century building is hidden under a mock 'Tudorbethan' façade, a porch has been added, the gable end window blocked up and the sash windows replaced by plastic frames. Remodelled in mid 1930s and extended by Vaux in 1958.
<< HER 6878 >> Ordnance Survey first edition map, 1850; Whorlton Tithe Map 1847 (Woodhorn NRO DT 509 M); J.T. Allison and A.D. Walton, 1989, Bygone Westerhope, p 21; Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West