Tyne and Wear HER(6896): Byker, Wilfred Street, Grand Theatre - Details
Byker, Wilfred Street, Grand Theatre
Music Speech and Dance Venue
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. Built by Weldon Watts. Opened on 27th July 1896 with "The Taming of The Shrew". Described as a very fine building, which could seat 2,500 people. Occupying a corner plot, there were separate entrances for the pit and gallery. A large handsome marble staircase to the circle. The stage measured 58 ft by 44 ft 6 inches and it could accommodate the largest productions. It had "a commodious suite of dressing rooms on each side fitted with every convenience for the comfort of the artistes". The principal entrance was surmounted by an imposing turret. Inside the main entrance was a spacious vestibule. The tip-up chairs were upholstered in "terracotta plush". William Hope, architect, Mr S.F. Davidson, builder, decorations and furnishings, Mr Dean, Birmingham, electric lighting by Messrs Tweddle, heating by Messrs Dinning and Cooke. The theatre closed in August 1954.
Ordnance Survey second edition map, 1890; Hayler Newspaper Cuttings Vol 3, p 23 (Newcastle Local Studies Library); Frank Manders, 1991, Cinemas of Newcastle, page 71; Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 38, Kenneth Moore, date unknown, More or Less