Tyne and Wear HER(6906): Backworth Colliery, Eccles Pit - Details
Backworth Colliery, Eccles Pit
Coal Mining Site
Opened in July 1905. Sinking was complete and coal was produced in 1907. The Eccles is the deepest of the Backworth pits. James Batty was in charge in 1907. in 1927 mechanical mining started at the Maude, Eccles and Algernon Pits, displacing pit ponies. Eleven injured, with four dying later after a gas explosion in 1928. The pit head baths for the Maude and Eccles pits opened February 15th 1930. Three men died (T. Chater, T. Livingstone and T. Anderson) after an explosion in April 1922. Shown on Ordnance Survey third edition.
Third edition Ordnance Survey map 1919; http://www.dmm.org.uk; Roy Thompson, 2004, Thunder Underground - Northumberland Mine Disasters 1815-65, photo on p 22; Shiremoor Local History Group, The history of Backworth Colliery (in HER 2010/147); Archaeological Services Durham University, 2018, Eccleston Close Backworth, heritage assessment