Tyne and Wear HER(692): Farnacres mill - Details
Water Power Production Site
Farnacres chantry chapel apparently included among its endowments a watermill. "At Chester court, 30th April 1545, the jury presented 'that the priest of Franacres made his foss between the mill-dam and the land of the lord of Ravensworth, beyond the distance to which he was entitled, and had encroached upon the land of the lord'. A fine of 5s 8d was inflicted". The mill is mentioned again in 1605. It is probable that the mill stood on the north bank of the Black Burn, the south boundary of Farnacres.
<< HER 692 >> R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, II, 243-4 W. Bourn, 1893, Whickham Parish, p. 89