Tyne and Wear HER(6933): Chopwell Colliery, North Pit - Details
Chopwell Colliery, North Pit
Coal Mining Site
Opened in 1800. Chopwell Colliery opened in 1781, closed November 1966. Owned by Marquis of Bute, taken over in 1890 by Consett Iron Company Ltd until the National Coal Board took it over in 1947.
Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Norman Emery, 1998, banners of the Durham Coalfield; Whellan, 1894, Directory of County Durham; D. Temple, 1997, The Colleries of Durham Vol 2