Tyne and Wear HER(6943): Follonsby Colliery - Details
Coal Mining Site
Opened in 1911. Owned by Washington Coal Company until 1947 when it was taken over by the National Coal Board. In 1959 Wardley colliery took over Follonsby Colliery (which became known as Wardley No. 1 Pit. The pit closed in August 1974.
<< HER 6943 >> 3rd edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1919; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Norman Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield