Tyne and Wear HER(6955): Fatfield, North Biddick Colliery - Details
Fatfield, North Biddick Colliery
Coal Mining Site
Opened before 1710, closed March 1935. Little Pit was sunk in 1894. Victoria Pit was at NZ 317 543. Owned by Sir George Elliot, Bart, then Lambton Colleries Ltd, then Lambton and Hetton Colleries Ltd. On November 17 1771, North Biddick, Chartershaugh and Low Lambton Colleries filled with water. Over 30 horses drowned, the wagons were swept away and the fire engines destroyed. Whellan reported in 1894 that there were two upcast and three downcast shafts at this colliery. Daily output was 940 tons of coal. 600 workers on the Maudlin seam and 350 on the Hutton seam. An explosion on 28 January 1743 killed 17 miners. Another on 6 December 1773 killed 19.
Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; N. Emery, 1998, Banners of the Durham Coalfield