Tyne and Wear HER(696): Swalwell village - Details
Boldon Buke (c.1183 survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset) contalins the following reference: "The land of Swalwell renders 16s. William, son of Arnald, for a clearing of 120 acres, renders one marc". In Hatfield's Survey (c.1382) the vill of Swalwell was held by William Swalwell. The medieval form of the village has been obscured by the industrial works of Ambrose Crowley, and subsequent development, but it seems possible that the medieval vill was near the foot of Coalway Lane.
<< HER 696 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, p. 68 W.G. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, p. 93 W. Hutchinson, 1787, History of...Durham, II, pp. 558-60 W. Bourn, 1893, Whickham Parish, pp. 91 et seq. D.A. Kirby, ed. 1972, Parliamentary Surveys of the Bishopric of Durham, Surtees Society, II, 185, pp. 86, 94, 96, 103 1770, Whickham and Swalwell Low Ground, belonging to Sir James Clavering, BP/3/165 -Gateshead Library Local Studies 1802, of grounds belonging to Sir Thomas Clavering...near Swalwell... B.3.209- Gateshead Library Local Studies 18th century, Rentals and leases Clavering estates, 76.13 -Gateshead Library Local Studies Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, Halmote Court, Addit. maps and plans - (date unknown)of Swalwell and neighbourhood, 118 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 25 inch scale, Durham VI.2; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2017, Brewery Bank Swalwell - Archaeological Evaluation