Tyne and Wear HER(6982): Newcastle, Cloth Market, town hall and corn exchange - Details
Newcastle, Cloth Market, town hall and corn exchange
John Green designed the corn exchange which was built on the site of Middle Street on 30 October 1839. In 1858 Johnston erected the town hall above it. Site now occupied by Stanegate House.
Plan of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1945; L. Wilkes and G. Dodds, 1964, Tyneside Classical - The Newcastle of Grainger, Dobson and Clayton; Paul Usherwood, Jeremy Beach and Catherine Morris, 2000, Public Sculpture of North East England, p 127-9; Brenda Whitelock, 1992, Timepieces of Newcastle, p. 47; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 20 and 139; Malcolm L Scaife, 1974, Newcastle Old and New