Tyne and Wear HER(7005): Hetton, Front Street, Church of St. Nicholas - Details
Hetton, Front Street, Church of St. Nicholas
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Parish church. 1901 by S.Piper. Rock-faced sandstone west elevation, coursed rubble elsewhere. Ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. Aisled nave, west baptistry, north and south transepts, chancel with lady chapel in south aisle, organ loft and vestry. Early English style. Lancet windows. Interior – Gothic choir stalls and pulpit by Messrs R. Hedley of Newcastle; reredos and chancel panelling 1929 by Hedley to designs of Hicks and Charlewood of Newcastle, in memory of Victims of Darlington railway disaster. Lady chapel east window re-used from former church, contains stained glass of 1865 in memory of Nicholas Wood. Queen Victoria memorial window in south aisle. Chancel window by Baker of London. Replaced a church built in 1831 as chapel of ease to serve new mining community. DELISTED IN 2010 AFTER A FIRE. Demolished 2014.
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 8/5; F. Smith, 1931, Hetton-le-Hole Parish Church, County Durham, 1831-1931; Department of Culture, Media and Sport and English Heritage, Schedule, 303161; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas