Tyne and Wear HER(701): Gateshead, High Street, Quaker burial ground - Details
Gateshead, High Street, Quaker burial ground
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Friends Burial Ground
The first meeting house of the Quakers in Gateshead was in Pipewellgate (1657) the second in High Street (in or before 1660). The burying ground adjoined the second house, and was located on the east side of High Street, approximately opposite the end of Swinburne Street, on land belonging to Richard Ewbank. In 1677 he was cited in the Archdeacon's court at Durham "for enclosing a burial place for sectaries". There is some disagreement as to the period of use, which may have been from as early as 1655 or as late as 1669, and ceased as early as 1698 or as late as 1724 (the original sources could bbe used to resolve this). Boyle reported a total of 101 burials, including that of Abagail Tizack in 1679, whose stone was later removed to Heaton Park.
<< HER 701 >> M. Phillips, 1894, Notes on some forgotten Burying Grounds of the Society of Friends, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVI, 192-5 F.W.D. Manders, 1973, A History of Gateshead, 156 TW.H. Knowles & J.R. Boyle, 1890, Vestiges of Old Newcastle and Gateshead, 34