Tyne and Wear HER(702): Gateshead, Pipewellgate, Quaker Meeting House 1 - Details
Gateshead, Pipewellgate, Quaker Meeting House 1
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Nonconformist Meeting House
Friends Meeting House
In 1657 George Fox visited Newcastle for the second time, and it was then that his followers met in an old house in Pipewellgate, later a tavern called the Fountain. Probably in the same year they moved to Richard Ewbank's house in High Street; they were certainly there before the end of 1660. Knowles' drawing of the Fountain shows it to have been sited on the river's edge, and its ground floor to have been of stone, those above timber-framed. The roofs were pantiled, and the windows either mullioned or with the small panes reminiscent of Bessie Surtees House on Pilgrim Street. The building was still standing in 1890, but was later demolished.
<< HER 702 >> M. Phillips, 1894, Notes on some forgotten Burying Grounds of the Society of Friends, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XIV, 192 F.W.D. Manders, 1973, A History of Gateshead, 156 TW.H. Knowles & J.R. Boyle, 1890, Vestiges of Old Newcastle and Gateshead, 32-34