Tyne and Wear HER(7042): New Herrington, St. Aidan’s Road, Church of St. Aidan - Details
New Herrington, St. Aidan’s Road, Church of St. Aidan
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Parish church, 1885-6 by H. Morton of South Shields. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; graduated Scottish slate roof. Nave, north and south aisles, north porch, chancel with north and south porches. Early English style. Chancel porch had 6-foil window above paired lancets. North porch pointed arch to door. Clerestory had 3 lancets to each bay. Cross and vane finials. Interior – brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Nave arcades. Chancel with double piscina. Vestry door. Mosaic and terrazzo floor. Marble inlay to font and pulpit. Light shades on nave arcades were for original electric lighting supplied by the nearby colliery. Was listed grade 2 but now demolished.
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 4/64; Sunderland Echo, 20th July 1885, p2