Tyne and Wear HER(7072): Newcastle, Bath Lane, No. 47 - Details
Newcastle, Bath Lane, No. 47
By the end of the nineteenth century the southern end of Bath Lane had been transformed by the commercial buildings along its length. No. 47 was built as a workshop and dwelling house for Mr. A. Gibson of Oxnam Crescent in Spital Tongues. The building plans were drawn up on 7th February 1895 by the architects Liddle and Brown. On the ground floor there were two doorways - the first led into a porch and then into the front office and rear store room. An arched entrance was situated at the extreme south end of the building leading to an open yard, toilet and blacksmiths shop. The second doorway led upstairs to the living area on the first floor. There was a kitchen and sitting room with fireplaces, and a bedroom, scullery and toilet to the rear. On the second floor there were four rooms, two with fireplaces. The Goad Insurance Plan of 1896 shows No. 47 Bath Lane with a blacksmith shop to the rear. By 1930 the smithy had been converted to stables. In the late C20 the building was used as a wholesale wine retailer before becoming a printworks and marketing suites.
Northern Archaeological Associates, 2004, No. 47 Bath Lane, Newcastle - Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Building Recording