Tyne and Wear HER(7077): Felling, St. John's School - Details
Felling, St. John's School
St John's School for Catholic children was built in January 1864. The upper floor was used as a chapel (because the old church by John Dobson had been demolished) until the new church (HER 7078) was built in 1893 - indeed the building is listed as St. John's Church in the 1871 census. When the new church was finished in 1895, both floors of the school were used as classrooms. There were over 400 pupils. The upper floor of the school had been removed by 1950, along with its gabled roof and arched windows on the west wall. Recorded in 2004 - a stone built rectangular building with five doorways, steps to those on the south elevation. The western door on the northern elevation has an elaborate ashlar surround with arch and large keystone. Mullion and transomed windows. Inside, eight cast iron pillars with octagonal bases and decorated tops survive. All windows have been blocked. The attractive yard walls have cross-headed railings and substantial gate piers. The building's last use was a boxing gym.
J.H. Parker, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004, St Patrick's Church Hall, Felling, Gateshead - Archaeological Buildings Survey; P. Haywood, Around Felling High Street; J.M. Hewitt, The Township of Heworth