Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Felling, Roman Catholic Church of St. Patrick

Tyne and Wear HER(7078): Felling, Roman Catholic Church of St. Patrick - Details

Back to Search Results


7078


Gateshead


Felling, Roman Catholic Church of St. Patrick


Felling


NZ26SE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Church


Roman Catholic Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Built by Charles Walker of Newcastle in 1893-5. Roman Catholic parish church. Rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Interior - barrel roof on shafted brackets with struts. Ornate altar and arcaded sanctuary with niches. Pulpit of alabaster on Frosterley marble base by Emley of Newcastle. Stone and marble communion rail. Historical note - the first St. Patrick's RC Church was built in 1841 to a design by John Dobson at Felling Shore. Work started on a new church on Felling High Street in 1873, but the partly finished church was destroyed by fire in 1877. Walker's church cost over £14,000. The old church at Felling Shore became an engine shed for colliery locomotives. LISTED GRADE 2


2766


6195


NZ27666195



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, 6/37; N. Pevsner (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson), 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham, p 271; P. Haywood, Around Felling High Street; J.M. Hewitt, The Township of Heworth

Back to Search Results