Tyne and Wear HER(7088): Cullercoats, Brown's Buildings - Details
Title of image: Brown's Buildings, Fishermen's Cottages, Cullercoats
Date: circa 1900
Additional info: Lantern slide
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Fishing Collection
Accession number: NCL 032455
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Cullercoats, Brown's Buildings
Nine cottages at the rear of Front Street, built in 1838. Believed to have taken their name from a local baker called Brown who had premises on Front Street. Typical row of fishermens' cottages. They had one bedroom, typically furnished with an old four-poster bed, chairs and a table. The chimneypiece was ornamented with brass candlesticks and china dogs. The lobster pots, creels and wooden barrels of salt rock for herrings would be near the entrance. There were similar cottages at Nos. 27-33 Front Street.
W.W. Tomlinson, 1893, Historical Notes on Cullercoats, Whitley and Monkseaton; R. Wright, 2002, The People's History - Cullercoats; Ordnance Survey first edition map 1850