Tyne and Wear HER(7106): Newcastle, Nelson Street, Nos. 16-22, Cordwainer's Hall - Details
Newcastle, Nelson Street, Nos. 16-22, Cordwainer's Hall
The Cordwainer's (shoemaker's) Hall was built in 1838, dated in central panel. The Guild was founded in 1556 and was one of the 12 senoir Medieval Guilds in Newcastle. Despite having around 95 members, making them the largest guild in Newcastle, at the time of Grainger they were largely a ceremonial and social organisation. Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition as Gardeners Arms Public House. The Gardeners Arms closed in 1971. It re-opened in 1976 as The Corwainer's. The name was later changed to Cork's. The magnificant façade of the hall still survives. Sandstone ashlar, 3 and 4 storeys. The building has been developed behind the façade so that only the façade is of interest.
Newcastle U3A Local History Group, 2001, A Brief History of Eldon Square South, Newcastle upon Tyne; Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historical Interest, 20/405; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p.158; Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 1, The Central Area, p 12