Tyne and Wear HER(7110): West Moor, World War Two supply depot - Details
West Moor, World War Two supply depot
This presumed WW2 supply depot or dump is shown on Ordnance Survey fifth edition of c1950. Aerial photographs taken in 1946 show a double track, with the supply dump encircled by a fence or ditch. Crates, drums and a number of Nissen huts can be seen either side of Salter's Lane. The creation of this site meant the destruction of ridge and furrow which survived in these fields. Three of the Nissen huts had been demolished by October 1947. By August 1954 the site is out of use and is overgrown with vegetation. Became playing fields for the George Stephenson Grammar School by 1956.
Scott Wilson, 2004, Percy Hedley School, Killingworth, North Tyneside - Cultural Heritage Desk-Based Assessment, p 20; Aerial photograph RAF/1066/UK/193 February 1946