Tyne and Wear HER(715): Heworth windmill - Details
Wind Power Site
The earliest reference to a mill at Heworth is 1279, but the first specific reference to a windmill was 1354-5 when 21d was spent on the repair of its sailyards. By 1373 there were 2 mills here, a watermill and a windmill, and both were let for a term of 9 years to a group of 7. In 1380 the windmill was let for a year. The prior and convent of Durham still had 2 mills at Heworth in 1464. The location of this mill is a guess: the high ground near Upper Heworth seems a likely site.
<< HER 715 >> J. Booth, ed. 1889, Halmota Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, 82, pp. 119, 121, 164 Canon Fowler, ed. 1898, Account Rolls of the Abbey of Durham, Surtees Society, 100, p. 555