Tyne and Wear HER(7156): Sunderland, Kayll Road, Sunderland Corp West Branch Library - Details
Sunderland, Kayll Road, Sunderland Corp West Branch Library
Branch library. Dated 1909. Architect Hugh TD Hedley, contractor WB Cooper. Donor of site Ald. William Burns JP. Bright red stretcher bond brick with sandstone ashlar dressings, roof of Lakeland slate. Baroque style. One storey. Renewed side steps to central porch. Panelled door, in architrave with BRANCH LIBRARY incised on frieze. Heavily rusticated columns and ogee dentilled pediment with date 1909. Sash windows. Commemorative stone at left names site donor and architect and Town Clerk; another at right names contractor, Mayor and officials. One of 3 libraries (the others Monkwearmouth andf Hendon) paid for by Andrew Carnegie with £10,000 given to provide 2 libraries. LISTED GRADE 2
Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 920-1/4/134; Monkwearmouth Memories, 1898, p 3.